Our curriculum is all the planned activities that we organise in order to promote learning and personal growth and development. It includes not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also the range of extra-curricular activities that the school organises in order to enrich the experience of the children.
It also includes the ‘hidden curriculum’, or what the children learn from the way they are treated and expected to behave. We aim to teach children how to grow into positive, responsible people, who can work and co-operate with others while developing knowledge and skills, so that they achieve their true potential.
The aims of our school curriculum are:
• to enable all children to learn and develop their skills effectively
• to promote a positive attitude towards learning, so that children enjoy coming to
school, and acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning
• to enable children to be creative and to develop their own thinking skills
• to teach children about their developing world, including how their environment and
society have changed over time
• to enable children to be positive citizens in society
• to fulfill all the requirements of the National Curriculum
• to teach children to have an awareness of their own spiritual development, and to
understand right from wrong
• to help children understand the importance of truth and fairness, so that they grow
up committed to equal opportunities for all
• to enable children to have respect for themselves and high self-esteem, and to be
able to live and work co-operatively with others
INDEPENDENT LIFE LONG LEARNING
Our practice at Dallas Road is based on the principles of Building Learning Power (BLP).
The purpose of BLP is to help young people to become better learners both in school and out.
The links below give further information about how each of the curriculum subjects is taught at Dallas Road CP School
We adopt a thematic approach to the curriculum with each half term having a different theme. We then aim to incorporate that theme into as many different curriculum areas as is appropriate. Further information about the detail within each topic can be found in each year group's pages or by having a look at the selection of curriculum overviews below.